Great location, tight community
The campus is situated in the heart of Princeton, NJ — one hour from New York City and one hour from Philadelphia — with its picturesque setting and vibrant social life.
At this time we only accept applications for the Ph.D. program. Here are the key dates and links regarding submitting an application:
- The application process is open for approximately three months each fall, from mid-September until the application deadline.
- The next application deadline is December 15, 2021.
- All applications are submitted online through the Graduate School.
The department often interviews short-listed applicants prior to making a final decision.
Admission decisions will be emailed to applicants by mid-February following the application deadline.
- Get to know our research. You won't become an expert before you get here, but familiarizing yourself with our work better prepares you to make informed decisions. In your communications with us, demonstrating that you know who we are and what we do tells us you are serious.
- Reach out. It's a good idea to contact the professors you've identified in step one. Be prepared to discuss your interests and inquire about ongoing and future research opportunities.
- Write a compelling statement. Your Statement of Academic Purpose should state what you hope to work on in our graduate program and explain how your background prepares you.
- Get strong letters of recommendation. What you say about yourself, and what your transcripts say about you, are very important in the admissions process. But what others say about you, especially those who know your work and can speak to your abilities, is essential to standing out in a highly competitive pool of applicants.
- Demonstrate your ambition. The committee considers a broad range of credentials when reviewing an application, including strong fundamentals and a commitment to highly impactful research. It is not uncommon for students who have a weakness in one area to make a strong case for themselves by demonstrating excellence in other areas.